Monday, June 13, 2016

Week 3 of PRESS JUNE 2016 - Renewal



Our Prayer focus for this week is Renewal. Renewal is all about you!

Focus Scripture
 
 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 
                    ~ Psalm 51:10



Today was one of those days where I woke up completely exhausted. Not just tired in my body, but heart-tired, emotionally-tired, and mentally-drained. I didn't even want to get out of bed.

But I have to PRESS. I have a child to take care of, a dog that only eats when I feed him, a small business to run, and people I’m connected with through this ministry. They are used to a morning prayer. After-all, we are in the middle of the 30-Day prayer challenge. I want to give of myself, but I am at the end. At the end of my strength. I begin to pray. This time I’m praying for myself, because I need renewal.

I don’t know about you, but I’m giving prayer-warrior. I pray for any and everyone and everything. I pray for a squirrel in the street. “Lord, let him not be roadkill today.” It’s that serious. But I tend to leave myself off the list. I’m not sure what that’s about. I think it’s some wrong teaching I picked up along the way. Perhaps a twist on the word…it’s better to give than to receive or some twisted kind of guilt I have over knowing how blessed I am and daring to ask God for another thing. Guilt doesn’t come from God, conviction does, so if I feel guilty, it’s not HIM.  Whatever the source, it catches up with me. On mornings like today when I want to bury my head under a blanket and cry. When I hear the Holy Spirit ask, “Are you okay?” And the answer isn’t immediately yes. I know that I have done myself an injustice. I have not practiced self-care. And I need to pray for me. No one knows my hopes, fears, sins, ambitions, and needs better than I do. 

Praying for ourselves empowers us to live the way God wants us to and grow to become more like Jesus along the way. Even Jesus prayed for Himself while He was on earth. The word tells us in Luke 5:16 that Jesus often withdrew from the crowds to pray.  I think one of the best examples of this is in Matthew 26:39 when Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane “saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.” Jesus was praying for himself. 

The next time the enemy tries to make me feel guilty about putting my needs first I will fight back with the scriptures that tell me the truth. I will speak the word saying, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
Do you struggle with praying for yourself? Why do you think that is? 

Here is a list of prayers to mediate on this week that will help you if you to pray for yourself and a few for those who may be like me…simply overwhelmed:

Matthew 7:7; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18; Ephesians 1:17; Ephesians 6:1-12; Psalm 62:1-2; Psalm 73:26; 2 Corinthians 3:5-6

Be Renewed By His Word. PRESS ladies. Pray! We're nearly halfway through the month. 

4 comments:

  1. Father may your Spirit infuse me with your touch when I'm weary. Remind me Lord. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why I don't pray for me. I guess I'm so busy being an intercessor. But it's OK because one of the scripture I believe is John where it say Jesus prays for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I think we need to make our request known to God. He says we have not because we ask not. I think as women we tend to put others before ourselves, but we need to stop doing that. If we don't learn to put the oxygen mask over our won face, no one will be saved.

      Delete